Sunday, August 25, 2013

Adjust Your Sails

Life is like an ever changing wind.  Some days the skies are blue and cloudless and the wind is calm.  Some days the skies are angry and black and the wind howls.  Life is pretty much the same.  No two days, no two moments are ever the same.   You must continually adjust your sails.

Each day we are confronted with new challenges, with new obstacles we did not expect, trials, joys, fears.  We never know what to expect upon waking.  Sure, we have a plan and if you're like me, you have several calendars and you think you have it all worked out.  Life doesn't follow a calendar I've come to find out.

Adjusting my sails is one of the hardest things for me.  I am not a roll with the punches kind of gal.  I live my life by my calendars.  I like routine.  I like control.  I do not like the unexpected.  I am not good with change. I have little patience for the unorganized.  It is hard for me to adjust my sails but I'm trying to learn.

I have honestly asked myself when watching someone who is very flexible, who has no calendar or makes no lists, who has a disorganized working environment, how do they live?  With everything I have going on, I think if I were not organized everything would be an utter failure.  I also don't do failure well.

To adjust your sails you must be able to realize that no matter what comes you can adjust and when the wind has stopped you will still be sailing.  We must be able to bend and turn, sway and stand.  Life isn't going to follow our calendar or our lists.  It isn't going to be easy or predictable.

Adjust your sails and you will never be blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment